The lock survived the changes of industrialization, which means that it is still operated by hand today. Today, every skipper has to do this hard work himself if he wants to pass through the lock. However, this was not always the case. Martin Clemens Mayer took over these services until Christmas 2003.

Martin Clemens Mayer – The last lock keeper

Martin Clemens Mayer can basically be regarded as the best friend of Lock no. 100. Mister Mayer was an original Bamberger. Professionally he was active in the water management office, where he committed himself with heart and blood against the demolition of the lock master house built in 1840. Mayer spent his pension there as a resident and did the work of the lockkeeper. For an 80-year-old man, this was a physically demanding job. Filling the lock takes about 15 minutes. Up to 500,000 litres of water flow into the 34.15 metre long and 4.67 metre wide basin.

The importance of the lock

Lock no. 100 still has an importance for Bamberg, because it helps to regulate the water level of the left bank of the Regnitz. Furthermore, without Lock no. 100 it would not be possible to feed the hydroelectric power plants in the mill district, which provide valuable electricity. Originally, the Ludwig-Main-Danube Canal was built to promote the transport of goods. But when the canal was finally completed, it was only of minor importance for Bavaria, since almost in the same time the first railway lines were built. In 1950, the canal was finally shut down.
But until then, the canal proved to be a faithful service. For example, eyewitnesses report that minesweeping boats passed through the canal during the Second World War. In this way they were brought from the Rhine via the Ludwig-Donau-Main Canal to the Black Sea. Considering the rarity that such boats passed the canal, some hardly believed their eyes.

Pieces of the old canal, commissioned by Charlemagne, are still preserved. His intention to generate better distribution channels with the “Fossa Carolina” was later realized in the form of the Ludwig-Donau-Main Canal. His own project was never completed at that time.

Lock no. 100 today

Today, especially sport and leisure boats and water police ships pass the lock. The lock can be used from the Nonnengraben branch as well as from the Regnitz, which makes it possible to avoid the mill weirs.

The last renovation of Lock no. 100 took place in the year 2000. Lock no. 100 is located on the Mühlwörth (the part of the mill district located on the island between the two rivers), between the upper mill district and the entrance to the Hain, the city park.

A insider tip for all romantics: Here you can sit down at the Regnitz and enjoy the sunset over the Villa Concordia. But also with a nice book and a cool Bamberger beer, you can endure very well here.

18. April 2018

Lock no. 100

The lock survived the changes of industrialization, which means that it is still operated by hand today. Today, every skipper has to do this hard work himself […]
18. April 2018

Geyerswörth Castle

In 1580 the Hochstift von Bamberg bought Geyerswörth Castle and the adjoining grounds. The acquired property contained outdated buildings which were demolished shortly afterwards. Builder Erasmus […]
18. April 2018

Chapter House

At the beginning of the 18th century it was decided that the chapter house was no longer suitable and the architect Balthasar Neumann was commissioned with […]
18. April 2018

Concordia

While the work on the building, started in 1717, could be completed in 1720, the realization of the outdoor facilities lasted until the year 1722. Until […]
18. April 2018

Böttinger House

Florian Köhler
18. April 2018

Monastery of St. Michael

Otto of Bamberg The Bishop of Bamberg, Bishop Otto, was a great supporter of the monastery. He was a missionary and, as bishop of Bamberg, was […]
18. April 2018

Adam’s Gate

This gate takes its name from the nearly life-size sculpture of the biblical forefather, which receives the visitors on the right side of the portal. Next […]
18. April 2018

Cathedral forecourt

During the early 10th century, the House of Babenberg lost a bloody feud against the Rhenish-Franconian family of the Konradines. Their property fell to the royal […]
18. April 2018

Art Nouveau toilet at ZOB

This stylistic element is characteristic of Erlwein’s architectural legacy. It can also be found on numerous other buildings with which he has shaped the cityscape of […]
visit Bamberg

FREE
VIEW