A town hall in the middle of the river

Already in 1386, a town hall was mentioned in this exact position, which fell victim to a fire in 1460. The present building was built on exact the same site in 1461. The half-timbered building on the south side, the so-called Rottmeisterhaus, has been preserved in its original form until today.

The legend explains the unusual site with the bishop’s refusal to provide the citizens with a place inside the bishopric to built the Town Hall they demanded. However, it seems more plausible that the self-confident citizens decided to build the town hall on the border between their insular city and the episcopal town on the hill, right in the middle of the Regnitz, to show their recently acquired power. Upstream, the view is directed to the former mill district. There used to be grain mills, paper mills and tills, today you can find student residences and hotels there. Looking from the bridges downstream, you can see the scenery of “Little Venice”, with its romantic fishermen´s houses.

The Baroque masterpiece

In the middle of the river rises a spectacular town hall tower, which was built on behalf of Prince Bishop Friedrich Karl von Schönborn (1729-1746). The construction was directed by the famous master builder Balthasar Neumann. The town hall tower was decorated in Baroque style with a magnificent dome. After 1750, sculptor Joseph Bonaventura Mutschele added further ornate and playful elements, such as the balcony and the coats of arms. On the municipal coat of arms facing the cathedral, St. George can be recognized as a knight.

On the adjoining façade you can find an impressive illusion painting in baroque style, commissioned by Prince Bishop Philipp Anton von Frankenstein before his death in 1753. Frankenstein’s successor, Konrad von Stadion, completed the Baroque renovation and had his own coat of arms affixed. His entrance to Bamberg can be admired in a fresco on the adjacent wall. Finally, in 1750, Johann Anwander succeeded in giving the work a stereoscopic effect, inserting three-dimensional elements and shadows. The attentive observer can recognize in the painting the drawing of an angel whose leg comes out from the wall surface. Until this time, such stylistic devices were only used indoors.

23. September 2020

Old Town Hall

A town hall in the middle of the river Already in 1386, a town hall was mentioned in this exact position, which fell victim to a […]
18. April 2018

Little Venice

Former fishermen district along the Regnitz Consisting of around 30 residential buildings, Klein Venedig extends along the eastern bank of the Regnitz from the former harbor […]
18. April 2018

The Old Court

Regicide In the Middle Ages, The Old Court was the scene of a momentous crime. King Philip of Swabia, who was about to be elected Emperor, was […]
18. April 2018

Altenburg Castle

The history of the castle Altenburg was initially regarded as a refuge for the citizens of Bamberg and probably used to secure the Regnitz valley. However, […]
18. April 2018

Monastery of St. Michael

Otto of Bamberg The Bishop of Bamberg, Bishop Otto, was a great supporter of the monastery. He was a missionary and, as bishop of Bamberg, was […]
18. April 2018

New Residence

Construction phases The construction of the building took place in 1602 in two separate phases. The first section, consisting of two wings, was commissioned by Prince […]
18. April 2018

Bamberg Cathedral

Henry Cathedral In 1004/1005 Henry commissioned the construction of the first cathedral, built on a hill and erected on the foundation of a chapel and the […]
visit Bamberg