At today’s Pfahlplätzchen, the former Judenhof, there were not only Jewish houses, but also the first Bamberg synagogue, a Jewish school and the Judentanzhaus, which served the Jewish community for family celebrations and social occasions. This is first mentioned in sources in the 13th century. At the beginning of the 15th century there were still 35 Jewish households living in the Judenhof, which were mainly active as money lenders for the clergy, the nobility and rich citizens.

By the middle of the century, however, the mood had tipped and there was an increasingly anti-Jewish atmosphere in the city. So in 1431 the church decided to confiscate the Judentanzhaus and to convert it into a residence for the Cathedral Vicar. With the expulsion edict of 1478, the Jewish history of Bamberg finally experienced a clear break. In the Jewish district, instead of the synagogue a Marienkapelle (Mary Chapel) was built and the houses became property of the Christian citizens. The former Judentanzhaus, on the other hand, changed hands several times and has been known since 1604 as the “House of Crab”. Today only the name of the adjoining Judenstraße reminds of the former inhabitants of this urban area.

18. April 2018

Pfahlplätzchen

At today’s Pfahlplätzchen, the former Judenhof, there were not only Jewish houses, but also the first Bamberg synagogue, a Jewish school and the Judentanzhaus, which served […]
18. April 2018

Marcus House

Adjacent to this square Roman Boxberger erected in 1906 an impressive monumental building in the style of the German Renaissance. This building was to serve as […]
18. April 2018

Synagogue Square

As a result of the Reich Progrom Night on 9 November 1938, the National Socialists destroyed the synagogue and almost completely wiped out Bamberg’s Jewish community. […]
18. April 2018

Former department store of the Tietz family

The new branch was completed in 1910 by the architect Johannes Kronfuß in the neo-baroque style and with its sculptural elements it artfully takes up the […]
18. April 2018

Heiliggrabkloster (Holy Sepulchre Monastery)

Its foundation can be traced back to the institution by the citizen Franz Münzmeister in 1352. The completion of the convent finally took place in 1356. […]
18. April 2018

Domherrenhöfe

Each of these curia has its own courtyard, as well as a chapel, after whose patron saint the whole courtyard was named. Most of the preserved […]
18. April 2018

Congregatio Jesu

The order could really gain a foothold with the construction of its institute house in 1717. The church was completed almost twenty years later, in 1737. […]
18. April 2018

Cathedral forecourt

During the early 10th century, the House of Babenberg lost a bloody feud against the Rhenish-Franconian family of the Konradines. Their property fell to the royal […]
18. April 2018

Market Gardeners’ District

Florian Köhler
visit Bamberg

FREE
VIEW