St. Jakob

After St. Gangolf, the church of the former canon monastery of St. Jakob is the second oldest surviving church in Bamberg. It is only a few minutes walk from the Domberg on the Jakobsberg. It was completed in 1109, 44 years after the foundation of the monastery, like the Heinrichsdom, as a three-aisled columned basilica under Bishop Otto. At that time the church stood outside the Bamberg town area and was an important meeting point for pilgrims on the Way of St James to Santiago de Compostela. Weiterlesen »


  • Jakobsplatz 1, 96049 Bamberg
  • German
  • English
visit Bamberg