The Hainbadestelle follows a tradition that can be traced back to the early 19th century in Germany. At that time, many German cities had river bathing areas with their own restaurants, changing rooms, moorings and bathing houses.
In Bamberger Hain, the existence of a wooden barrack with bathtubs has been documented since 1786. This river bath obviously originated without official permission by the general commissariat in Bayreuth at the same place as today’s Hainbad. Under the inscription “Salubriati” it should serve the health and well-being of the visitors. In the course of the 19th century, this precursor of the Hainbad increasingly lost importance. Nevertheless, the wooden shacks by the river were preserved.
The river bath was finally rediscovered in the 1930s and reopened on 29 May 1935 as an air and sun bath. Idyllically situated on the left bank of the river Regnitz, it even survived the Second World War unscathed to the present day. This makes the Hainbad one of the few remaining historic river baths in Germany.
In fact, there are still descendants of those guests from the bath’s founding days who have inherited their permanent cabins for generations.
Many Bambergers still spend their leisure time here under high tree stands and through hedges not visible from the outside. The old wooden footbridge directly on the bank of the Regnitz has a special recognition value. When the weather is fine, many sun-hungry students lie here close together, which is why the old wooden walkway is mockingly called “Studenten Grill” by many locals.
One reason for the students’ love of the Hainbad is certainly the low prices. With 2 Euro for the day ticket and 50 Euro for the season ticket, even less wealthy people can afford sunbathing in this idyllic place. Bathing in the river is allowed, but at your own risk. Due to the sometimes strong current of the river, however, inexperienced swimmers should rather do without it.