After the expulsion of the Jews in Bamberg during the High Middle Ages, individual Jewish families settled in the city area for the first time again in the 17th century. They often bowed to the pressure of the church and converted to Christianity.
It was the secularization of 1803 and the legal equality of the Jews in 1813 that brought the community back to life in the middle of the 19th century. An important member of this community was the physician Dr. Jacob Dessauer, who lived with his family in the house at Schillerplatz 18. He was not only involved as the chairman of the Jewish community, but also worked intensively for the poor of the city. For his political commitment he received the Royal Bavarian Cross of Merit in 1870 and the Royal Saxon Cross of Merit in 1871.