The Wilhelminian style brick building at Oberer Stephansberg 40 with its modern annexes is a popular residential complex today, but was once used for beer production. Until the closure of the company in 1988, the Bamberger Löwenbräu was located here.
The origins of the brewery "Zum blauen Löwen", whose head office was located in Judenstraße 2, date back to 1472. The Maex brewery family flourished the business in the middle of the 19th century and built a state-of-the-art brewery on their rock cellar property.
When the company went bankrupt in the early 1930s, production stopped for a short time before the entire plant was taken over by the Polarbär Brewery. The steady decline of Löwenbräu began with the sale of the brewery to external owners in 1980. Several changing owners were not interested in sustainable beer production, but mainly in the exploitation of the property in an attractive residential area. Thus, necessary investments were not made until the brewery could no longer be maintained. In 1994, demolition work began on the company buildings; only the front part, the actual brewhouse, was retained.