Southwest of the Bamberg main cemetery stands the so-called Gönninger chapel. This is a chapel of the Virgin Mary, which was designed in the style of the Einsiedeln Chapel of Grace. It was built in 1768 by Johann Jakob Gönninger, who brought a copy of a picture of grace from his pilgrimage to Einsiedeln. This replica is still in the main altar today. While the Gönninger Chapel flanked the main entrance of the cemetery at the beginning of the 19th century, the continuous north expansions ensured that it is today rather inconspicuous at the edge.