Former slaughterhouse of Bamberg

The Former slaughterhouse in the center of Bamberg is mainly known for its faithful depiction of an ox above the main portal.

The building was built on the crane in 1742 as a supplement to the first slaughterhouse. The slaughterhouse was located a little further upstream on the island side. The new slaughterhouse was Bamberg's first slaughterhouse for livestock. At that time, slaughter waste was simply thrown into the river and drifted away. The merchants displayed the goods themselves on so-called "meat benches" openly on the street. Weiterlesen »


  • Am Kranen 1, 96047 Bamberg
  • German
  • English
visit Bamberg